Power supply suits LED street light applications
Power Integrations has released an engineering report (DER-212) describing a 92 per cent efficient power supply for LED street light applications.
The design utilises Power Integrations' HiperPLC power supply controller, which is claimed to enable a cost-effective circuit design by combining power factor correction (PFC) and resonant (LLC) control functions on a single integrated circuit.
Power Integrations has released a new engineering report (DER-212) describing a 92 per cent-efficient power supply for LED streetlight applications.
The design will be exhibited on the Power Integrations booth at LED Expo Korea, from 20-23May, and at LED Lighting Taiwan, from 10-12 June.
LEDs are emerging as the preferred street-lighting technology, displacing traditional technologies such as high-pressure sodium (HPS) lamps.
LEDs consume far less electricity for each lumen of useful light emitted, delivering as many as 80 lumens per watt when driven by a high-efficiency resonant power supply, versus just 58 lumens per watt for HPS lamps.
In addition, LEDs provide better directional control and colour quality than HPS lights, an important consideration in shopping and residential areas.
LEDs can also turn on and off instantly and retain their efficiency when dimmed - features well suited to automated sensing of ambient light and human activity, allowing light output to be optimised for cost, with minimal consequences to the community lighting scheme.
Maintenance costs, and therefore the total cost of ownership, are also reduced due to the high reliability of LEDs compared to HPS lamps.
HiperPLC is designed to control AC-DC converters from 80 to 600W.
HiperPLC minimises costs by reducing the size of the PFC magnetics required, and by combining the PFC and LLC controllers into a single IC.
The IC provides up to 0.99 power factor and features synchronisation of PFC and LLC controllers.
Synchronisation reduces the ripple in the bulk capacitors, which reduces capacitor operating temperature and extends the life of the power supply.
Support for HiperPLC is featured in PI Expert software version 7.1.4, an automated power supply design tool based on Power Integrations products.
Not what you're looking for? Search the site.
Tel +1 408 414 9200
- RDK-203 aids standby-power regulation compliance
Power Integrations has released the RDK-203 reference design kit, a dual-rail power supply with high loop bandwidth and peak power for home-theatre systems with up to 650W audio power rating.
- Power Integrations extends Linkswitch-II family
Power Integrations has expanded its Linkswitch-II product family with the introduction of the LNK632DG.
- Power supply design software updated by PI
Power Integrations (PI) has introduced an updated version of its PI Expert Suite v7.1.4 power supply design software.
PI updates Expert software
Power Integrations has introduced an updated version of its power supply design software, PI Expert.
- Conversion ICs reduce phone-charger power use
Power Integrations has announced that its Linkswitch-II family of power conversion ICs enables manufacturers of mobile phone-chargers to achieve the five-star rating for no-load energy consumption.
Request your free weekly copy of the Electronicstalk email newsletter ...
Articles by product category
- Active Components (11,579)
- Active Components (4)
- Analogue and Mixed Signal ICs (1,726)
- Communications ICs (Wired) (1,803)
- Discrete Power Devices (418)
- Programmable Logic Devices (597)
- Microprocessors, Microcontrollers and DSPs (2,157)
- Memory Devices and Modules (760)
- Power Supply ICs and Controllers (2,391)
- Communications ICs (Wireless) (1,578)
- Standard Logic Devices (145)
- Passive Components (3,138)
- Design and Development (9,476)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (3,362)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (2)
- Handheld and Other Small Enclosures (137)
- Instrument Cases, Benchtop, Wall-Mounting Enclosures (338)
- Floor-Standing Racks, Cabinets, Enclosures (246)
- Fans and Blowers (223)
- Gaskets, Seals and Screens (123)
- Heatsinks and Thermal Management (198)
- LCD Modules (484)
- Monitors (132)
- Other OEM Display Modules, Meters (239)
- Switches and Keyboards (576)
- Rotary Controls, Joysticks etc (136)
- Indicators and Audio (79)
- Touchscreens and Touch Sensors (291)
- Printers, Knobs, Bezels, Other Panelware (151)
- Interconnection (3,028)
- Electronics Manufacturing, Packaging (3,182)
- Industry News (1,935)
- Optoelectronics (1,711)
- Power Supplies (2,461)
- Subassemblies (4,829)
- Test and Measurement (5,164)