Asus motherboard uses PEX 8613 PCIe Gen 2 switch
PLX Technology, a supplier of PCI Express (PCIe) switch and bridge solutions, has announced that the PLX Expresslane PEX 8613 PCIe Gen 2 switch is being used on the Asus P7P55D Premium motherboard.
It is being used to support the necessary bandwidth and fan-out required by Asus's latest high-end technology.
The PLX switch enables the P7P55D Premium to provide system design flexibility by using the PEX 8613 switch to act as a reliable high-performance bridge between the Intel P55 chipset and high-speed Gen 2 input/output (I/O) endpoints that include multiple expansion slots and SATA 6Gb/s ports.
The PLX Expresslane PEX 8613 is a low-power PCIe Gen 2 switch that offers 12 lanes and three ports, as well as a scalable high-bandwidth interconnection to a variety of designs and applications.
Any port can be independently configured for different I/O speeds, whether PCIe Gen 1 (2.5GT/s) or Gen 2 (5.0 GT/s), thus allowing a Gen 1 central processing unit or endpoints to 'talk' to Gen 2 devices and vice-versa.
Although any Gen 2 device can down-train to Gen 1, resulting in one half of the bandwidth, the PLX PCIe Gen 2 switches preserve the full Gen 2 performance by matching X number of Gen 2 lanes with 2X the number of Gen 1 lanes.
Using the PLX PEX 8613 switch as a bridge, P7P55D Premium was able to connect two Gen 2 lanes on the SATA 6Gb/s endpoint to four Gen 1 lanes on the Intel P55 chipset.
This flexibility can be found in all PLX PCIe Gen 2 switches, thus allowing designers to take advantage of the newest and highest-performance solutions, while simultaneously accommodating legacy designs.
The newly released Asus P7P55D Premium motherboard features true SATA 6Gb/s motherboard access and many more innovations in over-clocking support, cooling and power efficiency.
The P7P55D Premium offers users freedom of choice in multi-GPU execution by use of either AMD CrossfireX or NVIDIA SLI graphics cards.
It is based on Intel's P55 chipset and supports Intel's Lynnfield-based Core I5 and Core I7 processors.
Not what you're looking for? Search the site.
- ZF switches improve salt usage in water softeners
- Schroff slashes A/C system's energy use by a third
- Aplex selects Zypos sensor for panel PCs
- Interactive station features Zytronic touch sensor
- Venice 8 module enables Revo's Ikon radio
Request your free weekly copy of the Electronicstalk email newsletter ...
Browse by category
- Active Components (11681)
- Passive Components (3282)
- Design and Development (9709)
Enclosures and Panel Products (3535)
- Handheld and Other Small Enclosures (143)
- Instrument Cases, Benchtop, Wall-Mounting Enclosures (350)
- Floor-Standing Racks, Cabinets, Enclosures (255)
- Fans and Blowers (230)
- Gaskets, Seals and Screens (128)
- Heatsinks and Thermal Management (205)
- LCD Modules (502)
- Monitors (136)
- Other OEM Display Modules, Meters (241)
- Switches and Keyboards (631)
- Rotary Controls, Joysticks etc (140)
- Indicators and Audio (81)
- Touchscreens and Touch Sensors (324)
- Printers, Knobs, Bezels, Other Panelware (160)
- Interconnection (3253)
- Electronics Manufacturing, Packaging (3267)
- Industry News (1989)
- Optoelectronics (1799)
- Power Supplies (2635)
- Subassemblies (5128)
- Test and Measurement (5349)