Reference design speeds radio receiver development
National Semiconductor has announced the availability of an intermediate frequency (IF) sampling receiver reference design for multi-carrier, multi-standard wireless basestations.
The subsystem reference design kit gives radio designers the necessary technical material - reference design board, software, schematic, bill of materials (BOM) and Gerber files - to accelerate the design and development of high-performance radio receivers.
The SP16160CH1RB reference design board evaluates the IF receive signal path performance under a variety of input conditions.
When combined with a low-noise, high-linearity RF front-end and sufficient IF filtering, the reference design enables high-sensitivity receivers that exceed the stringent multi-carrier GSM requirements in both normal and blocking conditions.
Improved receiver sensitivity translates to enhanced basestation capacity and coverage, allowing service providers to reach more customers and deliver a higher quality of service.
The SP16160CH1RB delivers an IF chain receiver sensitivity of -105dBm, with a 9dB carrier-to-noise ratio in a 200kHz channel at 192MHz input IF.
With the digitally controlled variable gain amplifier (DVGA) set at a maximum gain of 22dB, the sensitivity is limited primarily by the noise contribution of the DVGA.
In the presence of a strong blocker, with the DVGA gain set at 12dB and blocker level kept at 1.6dBm input to the ADC, the SP16160CH1RB board delivers sensitivity of -86dBm.
In this blocking condition, the receiver sensitivity is determined by the ADC's high spurious-free dynamic range (SFDR).
The SP16160CH1RB operates from a single 5V supply and includes the dual-channel ADC16DV160 16-bit, 160 mega-samples per second (MSPS) pipeline ADC, dual-channel LMH6517 DVGA and LMK04031B clock jitter cleaner.
The ADC16DV160 delivers a signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 76.3dBFS and SFDR of 91.2dBFS at 192MHz input IF, while the LMH6517 provides a noise figure of 6dB and OIP3 of 45dBm, and the LMK04031B clock jitter cleaner offers near 150fsec of rms clock jitter.
To simplify evaluation of the SP16160CH1RB, National Semiconductor offers the Wavevision 5.1 data capture board and Wavevision 5 software, which enables data capture and analysis, as well as complete programmable configuration of the ADC16DV160 and LMH6517 via a common serial peripheral interface (SPI) bus.
Included with the SP16160CH1RB board is a PIC loader board for configuring the LMK04031B.
Not what you're looking for? Search the site.
- Development kit for Cryptoauthentication devices
- SoC Designer supports Fast Models product range
- Schmartboard users co-design prototyping board
- Tensilica announces customisable processor
- IAR supports ARM in Embedded Workbench
Request your free weekly copy of the Electronicstalk email newsletter ...
Browse by category
- Active Components (11,514)
- Active Components (4)
- Analogue and Mixed Signal ICs (1,715)
- Communications ICs (Wired) (1,798)
- Communications ICs (Wireless) (1,586)
- Discrete Power Devices (426)
- Memory Devices and Modules (766)
- Microprocessors, Microcontrollers and DSPs (2,065)
- Power Supply ICs and Controllers (2,406)
- Programmable Logic Devices (606)
- Standard Logic Devices (142)
- Design and Development (9,583)
- Electronics Manufacturing, Packaging (3,238)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (3,466)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (2)
- Fans and Blowers (228)
- Floor-Standing Racks, Cabinets, Enclosures (252)
- Gaskets, Seals and Screens (125)
- Handheld and Other Small Enclosures (143)
- Heatsinks and Thermal Management (203)
- Indicators and Audio (80)
- Instrument Cases, Benchtop, Wall-Mounting Enclosures (346)
- LCD Modules (492)
- Monitors (135)
- Other OEM Display Modules, Meters (241)
- Printers, Knobs, Bezels, Other Panelware (157)
- Rotary Controls, Joysticks etc (138)
- Switches and Keyboards (604)
- Touchscreens and Touch Sensors (313)
- Industry News (1,973)
- Interconnection (3,144)
- Optoelectronics (1,750)
- Passive Components (3,203)
- Power Supplies (2,546)
- Subassemblies (5,000)
- Test and Measurement (5,270)