Freescale develops MCU for BMW sports cars
Freescale Semiconductor has developed a microcontroller (MCU) based on its Power Architecture technology in collaboration with BMW, to enable reliable communication between vehicle subsystems.
Freescale's 32-bit MCU for BMW's 2010 luxury sports activity vehicles (SAVs) offers dual-core architecture and is said to enable unparalleled performance and integration to help reduce the cost and design complexity of connecting in-vehicle networks together at a single point.
Freescale worked with BMW through each design phase to help provide solutions to the challenges posed by the exponential increase in network traffic between electronic subsystems.
The jointly created solution is expected to be deployed in the next BMW 1 and 3 Series, and on the new X3 platform.
Freescale's automotive processors based on Power Architecture technology are stringently tested to withstand the harsh environment in automotive applications.
The MPC5668G MCU acts as a gateway that interconnects many different electronic control units (ECU) that help control a range of automotive body and driver convenience features.
Freescale is able to provide this precision control technology using a single integrated circuit.
In addition to precise electronics control, the Freescale MCU also takes the information from the ECUs and provides a central point for communication with the external world.
This integration on a single chip enhances the speed of diagnostics and reprogramming of other modules found throughout the vehicle.
Not what you're looking for? Search the site.
- TV maker selects Si217x silicon television tuner
- KSW Thinlam used in contactless US ID card
- Easy-Radio modules for remote camera control
- LG selects NXP HDMI switch for LED 3D television
- Blackfin processors power ANC products
Request your free weekly copy of the Electronicstalk email newsletter ...
Browse by category
Active components (13564)
- Analogue and mixed-signal ICs (2132)
- Communications ICs (wired) (2080)
- Discrete power devices (456)
- Programmable logic devices (630)
- Microprocessors, microcontrollers and DSPs (2599)
- Memory devices and modules (816)
- Power-supply ICs and controllers (2881)
- Communications ICs (wireless) (1793)
- Standard logic devices (173)
- Passive components (3589)
- Design and development (10253)
- Enclosures and panel products (3987)
- Interconnection (3648)
- Electronics manufacturing, packaging (3485)
- Industry news (2106)
- Optoelectronics (1959)
- Power supplies (3013)
- Subassemblies (5628)
- Test and measurement (5791)