Infineon expands power module plant
Infineon Technologies is expanding its manufacturing plant for power modules in Cegled, Hungary, in response to increasing demand for renewable energy and traditional motor drive systems.
Infineon has signed an agreement with representatives of Hungary's Ministry of Economic Affairs, under which the ministry will provide EUR1.4m (GBP1.26m) in project funding.
The Cegled plant primarily produces standard power modules, which are key components used in wind turbines and solar inverters for photovoltaic systems, as well as in locomotive drives, streetcars, manufacturing plants, escalators and elevators.
Cegled is located around 80km to the south east of Hungary's capital, Budapest.
By 2012, Infineon plans to more than double the volume of modules (based on IGBT semiconductor devices) produced in Cegled to around six million annually.
At present, the plant employs around 470 people, including 290 involved in producing IGBT modules.
Infineon expects to increase employees working in IGBT module production to roughly 500 by 2012, when output reaches the six million unit annual goal.
Manufacturing will begin in new buildings at the Cegled plant in April 2009.
Not what you're looking for? Search the site.
- Novel package shrinks multilayer memory units
- MCE launches solution to ASIC and IC obsolescence
- Systron appoints Inertial as British distributor
- Infineon Technologies - latest company news
- 350 million chips shipped, says SiGe
Request your free weekly copy of the Electronicstalk email newsletter ...
Browse by category
Active components (13633)
- Analogue and mixed-signal ICs (2138)
- Communications ICs (wired) (2083)
- Discrete power devices (457)
- Programmable logic devices (631)
- Microprocessors, microcontrollers and DSPs (2610)
- Memory devices and modules (817)
- Power-supply ICs and controllers (2921)
- Communications ICs (wireless) (1799)
- Standard logic devices (173)
- Passive components (3615)
- Design and development (10263)
- Enclosures and panel products (4010)
- Interconnection (3682)
- Electronics manufacturing, packaging (3491)
- Industry news (2106)
- Optoelectronics (1972)
- Power supplies (3042)
- Subassemblies (5657)
- Test and measurement (5824)