Box reference design features in French HD demo
Broadcom has taken part in the world's first demonstration of MPEG-4 compressed, high definition live TV broadcasting over an operational ADSL2+ network.
Broadcom Corp has reinforced its leadership position in the set-top box semiconductor market by participating in the world's first demonstration of MPEG-4 compressed, high definition (HD) live TV broadcasting over an operational ADSL2+ network.
Alcatel, Broadcom, France Telecom and Tandberg collaborated on the HDTV over ADSL2+ technology demonstration, which took place earlier this month at the French Open Tennis Tournament.
To enable the demonstration, Broadcom supplied France Telecom with its latest generation Internet protocol (IP) TV set-top box reference design platform, which performed the HD MPEG-4/advanced video compression (AVC) decoding and audio/video delivery.
This reference design builds on Broadcom's field-proven set-top technologies, enabling IPTV set-top box manufacturers to quickly ramp into production and support video over DSL deployments.
MPEG-4 Part 10 advanced video compression is the latest generation of compression technology that reduces the required bandwidth for the transmission of video content, thereby enabling telecommunications operators to offer HD broadcast and on-demand services over their existing DSL networks.
According to market analyst Michelle Abraham of InStat: "The availability of advanced video compression technology will enable the cost-effective deployment of IP set-top boxes, the market for which InStat is forecasting to grow by 550 % over the next five years".
"Broadcom is very pleased to participate in this HD video over ADSL2+demonstration, which represents a significant milestone in the telecommunications industry", said Daniel Marotta, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Broadcom's Broadband Communications Group.
"Broadcom's extensive experience in designing silicon solutions for broadcast video and communications applications will enable telecommunications operators to offer competitive IP set-top boxes and advanced pay TV services".
The demonstration, which was orchestrated by France Telecom, incorporated the Broadcom BCM97398 IP set-top box reference design.
The BCM97398 features the BCM7411 MPEG-4 HD AVC video decoder/audio processor chip and BCM7038 dual channel HD and personal video recorder chip.
Together, these chips enable set-top box vendors to build set-top boxes to support advanced IP-based video and audio services such as high-quality graphical user interfaces, advanced programming guides, built-in Internet browser capabilities, video-on-demand services and digital video recorder features.
The BCM97398's scalable architecture also supports hybrid IP/digital terrestrial set-top boxes and a variety of wired and wireless home networking technologies.
"The success of this demonstration reinforces our view that Broadcom is a very credible and capable HD AVC technology partner for France Telecom", said Pascal Viginier, Executive Vice President of R and D for France Telecom.
IP set-top box silicon designs require engineering experience in broadcast video and broadband communications technologies which Broadcom has acquired through years of experience in silicon solutions for satellite, cable and DSL equipment.
Broadcom's communications chips represent the most feature-rich solutions in the market today, incorporating advanced video compression and decompression, audio processing, integrated tuners, high-quality graphics, video display formatting, personal video recording, broadband access and home networking capabilities.
Not what you're looking for? Search the site.
- Sysgo - latest company news
- Vivante - latest company news
- Green Hills updates platform for secure wireless
- RF Engines adds weight to EE Times survey
- Altium has designs on video
Request your free weekly copy of the Electronicstalk email newsletter ...
Articles by product category
- Active Components (11,579)
- Active Components (4)
- Analogue and Mixed Signal ICs (1,726)
- Communications ICs (Wired) (1,803)
- Discrete Power Devices (418)
- Programmable Logic Devices (597)
- Microprocessors, Microcontrollers and DSPs (2,157)
- Memory Devices and Modules (760)
- Power Supply ICs and Controllers (2,391)
- Communications ICs (Wireless) (1,578)
- Standard Logic Devices (145)
- Passive Components (3,138)
- Design and Development (9,476)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (3,362)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (2)
- Handheld and Other Small Enclosures (137)
- Instrument Cases, Benchtop, Wall-Mounting Enclosures (338)
- Floor-Standing Racks, Cabinets, Enclosures (246)
- Fans and Blowers (223)
- Gaskets, Seals and Screens (123)
- Heatsinks and Thermal Management (198)
- LCD Modules (484)
- Monitors (132)
- Other OEM Display Modules, Meters (239)
- Switches and Keyboards (576)
- Rotary Controls, Joysticks etc (136)
- Indicators and Audio (79)
- Touchscreens and Touch Sensors (291)
- Printers, Knobs, Bezels, Other Panelware (151)
- Interconnection (3,028)
- Electronics Manufacturing, Packaging (3,182)
- Industry News (1,935)
- Optoelectronics (1,711)
- Power Supplies (2,461)
- Subassemblies (4,829)
- Test and Measurement (5,164)