Atmel audio IC features high-power amplifier
Atmel has announced the release of its AT73C240 Audio Companion IC for portable multimedia applications.
The AT73C240 integrates an audio quality 20-bit stereo DAC and up to 1W audio power amplifier.
It is suitable for portable applications requiring a high-quality audio interface, such as mobile phones, PDAs, palmtop computers, digital still cameras, portable multimedia devices and music players.
The AT73C240 integrates a high-performance stereo audio digital-to-analogue converter delivering a 90dB dynamic range, plus a 32ohm stereo headset driver with programmable volume control and mute function.
The stereo DAC comprises a multi-bit sigma-delta modulator with dither, continuous time analogue filters and analogue output drive circuitry.
The master clock is 256 or 384 times the sampling frequency, allowing the choice of input data rate up to 50kHz, including standard audio rates of 48, 44.1, 32, 16 and 8kHz.
The stereo 32ohm headset drivers also include a mixer for a pair of stereo inputs.
The DAC outputs can also be played back through a mixer buffer stage to the integrated audio power amplifier.
The mono buffer stage can also receive the mixing of the stereo inputs as well as the differential monaural auxiliary input (which can be, for example, from a voice Codec output driver in a mobile phone).
The audio power amplifier is a dual-mode AB class amplifier with differential output and programmable volume control.
In full power mode, it is capable of driving an 8ohm loudspeaker at maximum power of 1W at 5.5V supply and 440mW at 3.6V supply.
The volume, mute, power down, de-emphasis controls and 16-, 18-, 20-bit audio formats are digitally programmable via a four-wire SPI bus and the digital audio data is provided through a multi-format I2S interface.
Atmel offers the AT73C240 in a 5mm x 5mm, 32-pin QFN package in order to satisfy portable device minimum space requirements.
Not what you're looking for? Search the site.
- GaAs balanced amplifiers launched by Avago
- FDMC8200 minimises conduction and switching losses
- Linear introduces LTC3603 buck regulator
- IR3640M PWM control IC launched by IR
- LDO linear regulators launched by Maxim
Request your free weekly copy of the Electronicstalk email newsletter ...
Articles by product category
- Active Components (11,579)
- Active Components (4)
- Analogue and Mixed Signal ICs (1,726)
- Communications ICs (Wired) (1,803)
- Discrete Power Devices (418)
- Programmable Logic Devices (597)
- Microprocessors, Microcontrollers and DSPs (2,157)
- Memory Devices and Modules (760)
- Power Supply ICs and Controllers (2,391)
- Communications ICs (Wireless) (1,578)
- Standard Logic Devices (145)
- Passive Components (3,138)
- Design and Development (9,476)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (3,362)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (2)
- Handheld and Other Small Enclosures (137)
- Instrument Cases, Benchtop, Wall-Mounting Enclosures (338)
- Floor-Standing Racks, Cabinets, Enclosures (246)
- Fans and Blowers (223)
- Gaskets, Seals and Screens (123)
- Heatsinks and Thermal Management (198)
- LCD Modules (484)
- Monitors (132)
- Other OEM Display Modules, Meters (239)
- Switches and Keyboards (576)
- Rotary Controls, Joysticks etc (136)
- Indicators and Audio (79)
- Touchscreens and Touch Sensors (291)
- Printers, Knobs, Bezels, Other Panelware (151)
- Interconnection (3,028)
- Electronics Manufacturing, Packaging (3,182)
- Industry News (1,935)
- Optoelectronics (1,711)
- Power Supplies (2,461)
- Subassemblies (4,829)
- Test and Measurement (5,164)