ADP1655 brightens digital-camera flashes
Analog Devices has released a dual-white LED flash driver for battery-operated digital cameras that increases flash brightness to more than 200 lumens and improves picture quality.
The ADP1655 inductor-based flash driver improves the reliability of high-resolution camera operation in cell phones, digital still cameras, camcorders, PDAs and other camera-equipped portable devices, particularly in dark environments.
In a cell-phone application, the new driver's proprietary transmit masking function allows the camera flash to run at a higher LED current while simultaneously operating the phone's RF transceiver to monitor the cellular base station for incoming signals.
The ADP1655 integrates a 2MHz synchronous boost converter, a 500mA programmable current source and an I2C interface, which enables timers and currents to be easily programmed and data to be read back relative to system operation and safety controls.
With five per cent flash-current accuracy, the ADP1655 also improves flash brightness by allowing the camera to increase current to the LED without crossing safety thresholds that would trigger the phone to shut down.
The new driver additionally includes a high-side current source that allows the flash LED string to be connected to the camera's ground plane, eliminating the need to route the LEDs back to the IC.
This allows designers to simplify printed circuit-board routing, which reduces circuit trace length and thermal dissipation and allows the camera to be designed using a more compact layout.
Not what you're looking for? Search the site.
- GaAs balanced amplifiers launched by Avago
- FDMC8200 minimises conduction and switching losses
- Linear introduces LTC3603 buck regulator
- IR3640M PWM control IC launched by IR
- LDO linear regulators launched by Maxim
Request your free weekly copy of the Electronicstalk email newsletter ...
Articles by product category
- Active Components (11,579)
- Active Components (4)
- Analogue and Mixed Signal ICs (1,726)
- Communications ICs (Wired) (1,803)
- Discrete Power Devices (418)
- Programmable Logic Devices (597)
- Microprocessors, Microcontrollers and DSPs (2,157)
- Memory Devices and Modules (760)
- Power Supply ICs and Controllers (2,391)
- Communications ICs (Wireless) (1,578)
- Standard Logic Devices (145)
- Passive Components (3,138)
- Design and Development (9,476)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (3,362)
- Enclosures and Panel Products (2)
- Handheld and Other Small Enclosures (137)
- Instrument Cases, Benchtop, Wall-Mounting Enclosures (338)
- Floor-Standing Racks, Cabinets, Enclosures (246)
- Fans and Blowers (223)
- Gaskets, Seals and Screens (123)
- Heatsinks and Thermal Management (198)
- LCD Modules (484)
- Monitors (132)
- Other OEM Display Modules, Meters (239)
- Switches and Keyboards (576)
- Rotary Controls, Joysticks etc (136)
- Indicators and Audio (79)
- Touchscreens and Touch Sensors (291)
- Printers, Knobs, Bezels, Other Panelware (151)
- Interconnection (3,028)
- Electronics Manufacturing, Packaging (3,182)
- Industry News (1,935)
- Optoelectronics (1,711)
- Power Supplies (2,461)
- Subassemblies (4,829)
- Test and Measurement (5,164)